Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Like an Early Thanksgiving

Dear Richmond,

I have a number of things to thank you for. The very first time I visited your streets, you stole a bumper magnet off of a grandmother's car. This has taught me not to value material things - and not to take them with me.
Thank you.
Through the years, I have tripped countless times on your sidewalks. This has taught me humility - and to laugh especially hard when others fall.
Thank you.
Your weather has caught me unawares in heat and rain and snow. This has taught me versatility - and to curse loudly in front of children.
Thank you.
Walking your streets, I've very nearly been killed. This has taught me the fleetingness of life - and how to successfully jaywalk.
Thank you.
I have also driven on your streets. This has taught me to pay attention to my surroundings - and that I must kill or be killed. Thank you.
And finally Richmond, I have been caught in your blackouts. These have taught me to enjoy a breath of fresh air - and to remember my stupid ID if I'm going to the library after 10pm. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Sincerely yours,
X

No comments:

Post a Comment