Thursday, September 10, 2009

He's got claws and goes "Rawr!"

Running on a treadmill is a tedious task. Now, I'm aware that many people find exercise relaxing, however, I personally find that raising your heart rate and getting all of your muscles going is pretty much the antithesis of relaxation.

I digress - exercise is necessary and beneficial and you always sleep well afterwards, but actually running on a treadmill is, again, tedious.

There are several ways to solve this. Music, for one, has become most runners' constant companion and it is a qualified distraction from running. Running outside is also an option, or with a friend (though if you're running with me, the conversation will be one-sided as a third of the way through my full attention will have to be focused on breathing and all around staying alive).

However, today, while on the treadmill, during my supposedly bi /tri-weekly run I came up with something a little more fun. Let me set this up for you: I can either look down at the little dot going around a little quarter-mile track on the treadmill screen or look straight ahead, where four feet in front of my face is the most prosaic, washed out yellow brick wall that I have ever stared at for a half hour. So, the decision that neither one of these is a good impetus for me to run was an easy one. What makes for a good impetus to run, you ask? Well, simply? Something chasing you.

Monsters, to be exact. Hire monsters to chase people and we'll all be real fit, relatively fast (depending on what setting you set the monster to - lumber, trot, stomp-run, or maul speed).

If this isn't actually feasible or healthy, I'd settle for a little monster chasing my little dot around the quarter-mile track on the treadmill screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment