Sunday, November 22, 2009

Highslide blues

I've managed to get all of my gallery pages up and mostly working on my site. I just have a couple of bugs to work out, which I may never work out, because they're just too small.

I'm using a prewritten Highslide Java gallery and their site setup is very easy to navigate and use to setup your gallery. I did this, uploaded my images, set them up according to Highslide's available options and moved onto putting the corresponding code into my source documents. For the first gallery this was simple (I have several), copy and paste some html into your source document and download the .js and .css pages that were created according to options chosen. Poof! Gallery page. (Well, not really poof, but I'll come to that later.)

However, this setup presents a problem if you have more than one gallery page needed for your site; the downloaded Java and CSS pages are all contained in one folder: Highslide. So, if you do need more than one gallery, seting up and downloading your gallery through their site is impossible because if everything went perfectly, you would have two folders called Highslide in the same root folder for your website and that, we all know, is just not possible.

Why not change the folder name and all corresponding calls in the coding? Well, my intelligent reader, this is exactly what I tried. And exactly what I failed. Things just didn't work. Surely, I missed some call or some CSS of mine was overriding, but looking for the missed call in 10 documents was not an efficient way of doing things for someone who needs, in the end, 9 different gallery pages, with the option to add more at will.

So, I got a little smarter and decided that if all my gallers were supposed to look the same anyway, why not just link all of my galleries to the same .js and .css , copy and paste the html code into my other galleries' source pages and change the image calls to correspond? Well, I saw no reason and did just that.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment